Science on the Witness Stand: Evaluating Scientific Evidence in Law, Adjudication, and Policy
Science on the Witness Stand will be a welcome addition to the library of any medical or legal professional whose work involves presenting medical evidence in a legal context.
The book offers a complete look at the factors to be considered in a variety of legal proceedings, from claims adjudication to liability and other medical/legal proceedings. It begins by introducing an innovative approach the authors call evidence-based medical dispute resolution, then moves on to discuss the elements and logic to be presented in a medical opinion, the principles and procedures of civil litigation, and the jurist's view of scientific evidence. Issues of causality and admissibility of evidence and testimony are presented, along with individualized medical evaluation and personal risk, impairment, and evidentiary needs in environmental law and occupational health law.
Publication Date 2001 Format Softcover, 428 pages ISBN 978-1-883595-31-9 Product Code 23070
Low Back Pain: An Evidence-Based, Biopsychosocial Model for Clinical Management, 2nd Edition
Practical, Comprehensive and Up-To-Date!
How a physician understands, interacts, and communicates with a patient with musculoskeletal low back pain will have a powerful impact on the course of care and outcome, regardless of the diagnosis. The authors of the new second edition of Low Back Pain provide a unique and valuable perspective on the non-surgical management of this potentially disabling condition.
Publication Date 2008 Format Softcover, 385 pages ISBN 978-1-883595-49-4 Product Code 23095
Orthopedic Physical Assessment , Sixth Edition
A comprehensive guide to selecting diagnostic tests for accurate musculoskeletal assessment, this book covers everything from anatomy to clinical application. Topics include the principles of assessment, all peripheral and spinal joints including the head and face, gait, posture, primary care, the amputee, and emergency sports assessment.
Publication Date 2014 Format Hardcover, 1173 pages Product Code 27095
Wallach's Interpretation of Diagnostic Tests, Tenth Edition
This practical guide cuts through the confusion of when to order tests and how to interpret results based on evidence-based laboratory medicine.
Includes current molecular diagnostic testing, cytogenetics, common pitfalls, test limitations, and identification of appropriate tests for specific clinic presentations. Also covers test sensitivity, specificity, and includes positive and negative infectious disease probabilities included where appropriate. Detailed descriptions of routine and lesser-known tests are listed alphabetically with guidance on when to order and how to interpret results.
The print edition includes a code inside the front cover allowing access to the interactive eBook edition with tablet, smartphone, or online access to the complete content with enhanced navigational features.
- New chapters on genitourinary disorders and transfusion medicine
- New information on pulmonary, cardiac, and nerologic disease states, HLA
- A completely revamped cardiovascular chapter including new symptoms (Dyspnea, Syncope, Sudden Cardiac Arrest)
Publication Date 2014 Format Softcover, 1390 pages Product Code 41101
Concise Guide to Reading, Understanding, and Evaluating Medical Journal Articles
You have a short time to read and evaluate a journal article in an area that's vital to your practice, yet is filled with terminology you haven't come across before, haven't used in years, or is only vaguely familiar. What's the most efficient way to accomplish the task? Turn to Judith Green-McKenzie's time-saving guide. It offers a step-by-step approach to dissecting an article, a glossary of commonly used terms, methods for evaluating the validity of the results presented, and much more.
Publication Date 2006 Format Softcover, 128 pages ISBN 978-1-883595-46-3 Product Code 23093
Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care, Fifth Edition
Published by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), this authoritative and multi-disciplinary reference helps guide practitioners to confidently evaluate and treat more than 300 complaints and conditions. Offers stepwise instruction, comprehensive coverage, and an unparalleled collection of videos and exercises. Written and edited by a multi-specialty team, including orthopaedists, physical therapists, and pediatricians including contributors from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Publication Date 2016 Format Hardcover, 1291 pages Product Code 39025
Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide, Eighth Edition
Endorsed by the American College of Emergency Physicians, this widely used and highly regarded textbook covers the broad scope of emergency medicine. Features a format that is well-organized and comprehensive yet easy to read. Includes sections on toxicology, environmental injuries, disaster preparedness, radiation injuries, blast and crush injuries, and chemical disasters.
Publication Date 2016 Format Hardcover, 2176 pages Product Code 32012
Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology 8th Edition
Written as a field guide to the recognition of skin disorders and their management, this text features over 1080 full color images covering the entire spectrum of skin problems. It also includes an overview of epidemiology and pathophysiology with detailed information on diagnosis and treatment. The book is color-coded in 4 parts with helpful icons denoting the incidence and morbidity of disease.
New to the Eighth Edition:
- More than 40% new images with many that highlight skin disease in different ethnic populations
- Includes ICD-10 codes for each disease
- Thoroughly updated coverage of etiology, pathogenesis, management, and therapy
Publication Date 2017 Format Softcover, 927 pages Product Code 32015
Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment 2018
Now in a 57th edition, this trusted text offers the most current insights into symptoms, signs, epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment for more than 1,000 diseases and disorders. Includes concise, evidence-based answers to questions about both hospital and ambulatory problems.
Here are highlights on why this text should be included among your reference books:
- Strong emphasis on the practical aspects of clinical diagnosis and patient management
- Full review of internal medicine and additional family medicine topics, including gynecology and obstetrics, dermatology, neurology, ophthalmology, geriatrics, and palliative care
- Annual update on HIV/AIDS and other new emerging viral infections
- Specific disease prevention information
- Medical treatment tables, with indexed trade names and updated prices
- Helpful diagnostic and treatment algorithms
- Key recent references on each topic with PMID numbers for quick access
- Many full-color photographs and illustrations
Publication Date August, 2017 Format Softcover, 1952 pages Product Code 32016
Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, 12th Edition
Authoritative step-by-step guide on performing patient interviews and physical examinations by applying clinical reasoning, shared decision-making, and other core assessment skills.
Features an easy-to-follow two-column format listing examination techniques on the left and abnormalities ( clearly indicated in red) with differential diagnoses on the right.
New to the Twelfth Edition:
- Clinical pearls, printed in blue, highlight key points throughout the text
- Text boxes help readers quickly find important summaries of clinical conditions and tips for challenging examination techniques
- New and updated photographs and illustrations have been added to support the text, and figures are now numbered for easy identification and reference
- The chapter on evaluating clinical evidence has been rewritten
- The chapter on skin, hair, and nails has been revised and expanded and includes new dermatology photographs
- The chapter on behavior and mental status has been updated and now references DSM-5
- Includes revised information on obesity and nutrition counseling; cardiovascular risk factor screening and new clinical guidelines; new screening guidelines for breast cancer, colon cancer, Papanicolau smears, and stroke risk factors; updated information on STIs; new geriatric assessment tools
ISBN 2016 Product Code 41104