This practical guide cuts through the confusion of when to order tests and how to interpret results based on evidence-based laboratory medicine.
Includes current molecular diagnostic testing, cytogenetics, common pitfalls, test limitations, and identification of appropriate tests for specific clinic presentations. Also covers test sensitivity, specificity, and includes positive and negative infectious disease probabilities included where appropriate. Detailed descriptions of routine and lesser-known tests are listed alphabetically with guidance on when to order and how to interpret results.
The print edition includes a code inside the front cover allowing access to the interactive eBook edition with tablet, smartphone, or online access to the complete content with enhanced navigational features.
- New chapters on genitourinary disorders and transfusion medicine
- New information on pulmonary, cardiac, and nerologic disease states, HLA
- A completely revamped cardiovascular chapter including new symptoms (Dyspnea, Syncope, Sudden Cardiac Arrest)
Table of Contents
- FALTs: Factors Affecting Laboratory Tests (L.V. Rao) SECTION 1: DISEASE STATES
- Autoimmune Diseases (M. Rabie Al-Turkmani)
- Cardiovascular Disorders (Craig S. Smith)
- Central Nervous System Disorders (Juliana Szakacs)
- Digestive Diseases (L. Michael Snyder and Michael J. Mitchell)
- Endocrine Diseases (Hongbo Yu)
- Genitourinary System Disorders (Charles Kiefer)
- Gynecologic and Obstetric Disorders (Juliana Szakacs)
- Hematologic Disorders (Liberto Pechet)
- Hereditary and Genetic Diseases (Marzena Galdzicka, Patricia Minehart Miron, and Edward I. Ginns)
- Infectious Diseases (Michael J. Mitchell)
- Renal Disorders (M. Rabie Al-Turkmani)
- Respiratory, Metabolic, and Acid-Base Disorders (L.V. Rao and Michael J. Mitchell)
- Toxicology and Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (Amanda J. Jenkins)
- Transfusion Medicine (Vishesh Chihibber) SECTION 2: LAB TESTS
- Laboratory Tests (L.V. Rao, Liberto Pechet, Amanda Jenkins, Edward I. Ginns, Marzena Galdzicka, Craig Smith, Vishesh Chihibber, Charles Kiefer, Neng Yu, and Patricia Minehart Miron)
- Infectious Disease Assays (Michael J. Mitchell and L.V. Rao)